I keep a little, ever-expanding note on my phone where I jot down little morsels of goodness that I pick up while listening to or reading one of the many excellent sites/podcasts in the useful resource section.
I’ll try and transfer them here for your enlightenment.
From a talk on valve emergencies by Stuart Swadron. (free at alllaconference.com)
- post mitral valve leaflet more at risk in minor MIs as it has only a supply from RCA whereas ant leaflet has dual supply from LAD and circumflex
- occlusion of both the LAD and circumflex will probably kill the patient and so there’ll be no patient left to diagnose this in!
- aortic stenosis and CHF is possibly a surgical emergency (often with an angio first to see if they need a CABG while they’re there)
- in any dissection look for AR
- remember haemolysis in mechanical valves
- if jaundice anemia and pink urine think faulty mechanical valve