Below is a recent talk I prepared for a teaching meeting for the ICU and ED staff. Unfortunately I was still on my train when I was due to give it so here it is online instead.
- Annane D. Effects of Fluid Resuscitation With Colloids vs Crystalloids on Mortality in Critically Ill Patients Presenting With Hypovolemic Shock. JAMA. 2013 Nov 6;310(17):1809.
- Brown SGA. Fluid resuscitation for people with sepsis. BMJ (Clinical research ed). BMJ Publishing Group Ltd; 2014 Jul 22;349(jul22 16):g4611–1.
- SMACC Podcast: Myburgh: Fluid Resuscitation: Which, When and How Much?
- EMCrit Podcast: Marik: Fluids in Sepsis
- EMCrit Podcast: Angus on Process
- Marik PE, Baram M, Vahid B. Does central venous pressure predict fluid responsiveness? A systematic review of the literature and the tale of seven mares. Chest. 2008 Jul;134(1):172-8. doi: 10.1378/chest.07-2331. Review. PubMedPMID: 18628220.
- Marik PE. Iatrogenic salt water drowning and the hazards of a high central venous pressure. 2014 Jun 24;:1–9. [free pdf]
- Rivers E, Nguyen B, Havstad S, Ressler J, Muzzin A, Knoblich B, et al. Early goal-directed therapy in the treatment of severe sepsis and septic shock. N Engl J Med. 2001 Nov 8;345(19):1368–77.
- Jones AE, Shapiro NI, Trzeciak S, Arnold RC, Claremont HA, Kline JA. Lactate Clearance vs Central Venous Oxygen Saturation as Goals of Early Sepsis Therapy: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2010 Feb 24;303(8):739–46.
- Dellinger RP, Levy MM, Rhodes A, Annane D, Gerlach H, Opal SM, Sevransky JE, Sprung CL, Douglas IS, Jaeschke R, Osborn TM, Nunnally ME, Townsend SR, Reinhart K, Kleinpell RM, Angus DC, Deutschman CS, Machado FR, Rubenfeld GD, Webb SA, Beale RJ, Vincent JL, Moreno R; Surviving Sepsis Campaign Guidelines Committee2012. Crit Care Med.2013 Feb;41(2):580-637. doi: 10.1097/CCM.0b013e31827e83af. PubMed PMID: 23353941.
- The ProCESS Investigators. A Randomized Trial of Protocol-Based Care for Early Septic Shock. N Engl J Med. 2014 Mar 18;:140325070040003.
- Kaukonen K-M, Bailey M, Suzuki S, Pilcher D, Bellomo R. Mortality Related to Severe Sepsis and Septic Shock Among Critically Ill Patients in Australia and New Zealand, 2000-2012. JAMA. American Medical Association; 2014 Apr 2;311(13):1308–16.
Marik PE. Early Management of Severe Sepsis. Chest. American College of Chest Physicians; 2014 Jun 1;145(6):1407–18.