I keep a little, ever-expanding note on my phone where I jot down little morsels of goodness that I pick up while listening to or reading one of the many excellent sites/podcasts in the useful resource section.
I’ll try and transfer them here for your enlightenment.
From Billy Mallon over on EM Core Content (free video)
- big difference between cellulitis and nec fasciitis; one confined to skin; one to the deeper tissues
- some things that might make you think of nec fasc:
- necrotic skin
- bullous changes
- dishwater coloured drainage from the bullae/tissue
- everyone’s favourite: pain out of proportion
- people with DM, immunosuppression, lines in situ or water exposure
- the important thing is not antibiotics but surgery
- to convince a surgeon you might need some imaging and MRI probably best
- Group A Strep
- MRSA (with PVL)
- Vibrio when seawater involved