I keep a little, ever-expanding note on my phone where I jot down little morsels of goodness that I pick up while listening to or reading one of the many excellent sites/podcasts in the useful resource section.
I’ll try and transfer them here for your enlightenment.
On back pain:
- in cauda equina
- urinary retention can mean incontinence, but as a result of overflow
- consider ultrasound for post void.
- if your scanner doesn’t do this automatically then the formula Volume=x x y x z x (0.72) might be helpful though I suspect eye-balling the volume would be fine
- distinguish burst from wedge fractures. May well need CT to do so
- a wedge fracture normally has only loss of ant height and is stable and no where near the cord
- a burst fracture can often be unstable and impinge into the canal